Saturday, November 30, 2013

They want to be Self Efficient

In reading this section of the text I couldn't agree more with it!  I see it every day in my sons how they want to be able to do things for themselves and want to understand things they don't. Nothing makes me more proud than to see them and the looks on their faces when they do complete a task they have set for themselves or that little light turn on when they finally do figure out how to solve a problem they were struggling with.

There are many key points/advise the text gives in allowing children/students to become self efficient, such as:

  • Making sure to give students multiple opportunities to find the smallest of success in their reading and writing. When grading try to look for more of the right "correct" work than the wrong "incorrect" work.
  • Try to make a point in displaying or publishing our kids/students work so other can see, giving them an extra boost of pride in themselves.
  • Talking to our kids/students about past problems or issues that lead to their lack of self-efficacy. This could help them help themselves in giving them insight to seeing where they can help themselves .
  • Giving kids/students opportunities to work with other kids or in groups helps them not only to work with others but gives them opportunity to give and get positive feed back and responses from their peers and to their peers.
These are I believe are really great points that I can really work on with my boys and students. I am really enjoying this book and all the information it is offering me!

No comments:

Post a Comment