Once again I will be practicing these little techniques on my sons because everyone knows creating a habit will carry over. One would think that as a mother some of the trust issues would naturally be there but I am a very strict mother and tend to have a very strong focus on getting the job done and doing it well because that is what I expect of you. But on page 5 of the text the bulleted items I found to be key things I feel would not only help me with my boys when they are at home so it doesn't always seem so military like, they would benefit me in my classroom with my students to make it lighter and easy going so it too does not seem military like. I just want to go over a few with how I think they would help me.
- Benevolence - If I appeared to me more caring (softer) in showing my support while teaching I believe I would be taken easier by the students. Expressing appreciation and being fair would most definitely grow trust, especially when work is being done. I think this would be able to show students and my boys that they are able to please me and I do appreciate all their hard work.
- Openness - I think sharing the power and decision making would help in a big way. Openness would let the students (and my boys) know they do actually do have a voice and what they think and say is important and valid. This I believe would be some amount of closeness in trust and motivation.
- Reliability - I strongly believe in being consistent with my boys and students. With being consistent there are no real surprises and children in general will know they can depend on you.
I know if I work on this part my personality (the softer side) this behavior would come more natural to me and then hopefully I will become more approachable to my own children and my students.
I agree with you! I really like all these recommendations from Baca that if we are positive then we will see those positive results come back. This week I am a little worried that my ideas, and Baca's ideas are a little too Utopian, but for now, I am going to say no. If we keep trying to create these feelings of benevolence, openness and reliability, it will come back. I am sure your boys have been responding well to it!
ReplyDelete